Job Title: Clean Energy Specialist
Reports to: Manager, Clean Energy Division
Hours: 35 per week (Contract until March 31, 2023)
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
About Clean Foundation:
Clean Foundation helps the communities in which we work make real progress toward a cleaner future by taking on climate change challenges. We bring specialized teams together to work on complex problems, delivering clean projects and programming for communities. We’re here to make the biggest impact for a cleaner world.
Learn more about us and the work we do: cleanfoundation.ca
Summary of the Department:
The Clean Energy division within Clean’s Energy team aims to support the creation and promotion of cleaner sources of energy and make it easier for all Nova Scotians to get involved in clean energy and climate change action. We believe that clean energy can contribute to social equity goals, help reduce energy poverty and energy insecurity, and build energy self-determination in historically marginalized communities. Therefore, we work at the crossroads of clean energy and social equity.
Summary of the Position:
Reporting to the Manager of Clean Energy, the Clean Energy Specialist will support the Clean Energy team and its projects. Specifically, the position will support:
- Research on a wide range of energy topics.
- Identification of GHG emissions reductions potential of clean energy projects.
- Team understanding of funding and policy environments for climate change mitigation action to develop new clean energy programs.
- Development of community solar projects.
- Development of proposals and revenue generation initiatives.
- Development of energy initiatives that benefit civil society and vulnerable populations.
- Projects that help build the capacity of Mi’kmaw and African Nova Scotian communities to better benefit from clean energy opportunities.
Our Ideal Candidate:
You have comprehensive experience in supporting and/or researching on a broad array of clean energy initiatives. This experience can range from research to program support to proposal development to on-the-ground engagement. You also have a knowledge of clean energy and the energy context of Nova Scotia. You have a knack for problem-solving, show initiative and exhibit good judgment. You are also open to learning how to better include impactful diversity and inclusion policies in our organization.
- Knowledge of climate science, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and energy systems.
- Knowledge/experience in climate change action planning considered an asset.
- Experience working with various community partners (Municipalities, First Nation communities, African Nova Scotian communities) considered an asset.
- Strong skills in research and analysis.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong teamwork and team leadership skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work productively as part of a team.
- Proficiency with common office software, such as Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid First Aid/CPR and WHMIS certification
- Previous experience in non-profit sector
- Work both from home and from our Dartmouth office.
- Some local and overnight travel may be required.
- Some overtime (lieu) hours may be required based on operational requirements.
The Clean Energy Specialist will be required to work on a computer sitting down or standing for extended periods of time.
- On site visits to participating projects may be required, potentially involving some work outdoors.
Clean is committed to Employment Equity and our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative at all job levels. Qualified self-identifying First Nations, Metis and Inuit, African Nova Scotian and Black-identifying, Historically marginalized groups, Persons with Disabilities and LGBTQ2+ applicants will be strongly considered for this position. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on either your cover letter or resume.
If you are interested in this exciting new role, please submit your cover letter and resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Wednesday, May 18, 2022. We appreciate all interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.